Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Joan Snyder



'Lines and Strokes' (1969).

I was browsing and noticed that Joan Snyder had won the The MacArthur Foundation "genius grant" in 2007. That's cool.

She often uses materials similar to what I do such as: Acrylic, oil, paper-mache, cloth, herbs, glitter.

I expect that her art work has a bit more impact in real life. The dimensionality does not show up much in photos.

From the New York Sun on the occasion of her award:
The leadership of the MacArthur Foundation is notoriously reticent to disclose nomination and selection criteria, but they cited Ms. Snyder's "fiercely individual approach and persistent experimentation with technique and materials."

"At least two major museums in New York own my work, and it sits in the basement," she said, referring to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art. "And now the Guggenheim has one, and I hope they hang it."


For some reason - the only images of hers that would post were the pink ones. It wasn't my intention - I had chosen a couple of blue ones originally. A person could get the impression that most of works are pink - and that is not the case at all.

No comments: