Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Zeng Fanzhi




I like Zeng Fanzhi's landscape paintings.

(born 1964, Wuhan, China)
Zeng Fanzhi studied oil painting at the Art Academy of Wuhan and lives and works today in Beijing.

From a New York Times article about him:

"Sometimes I paint with two hands. Sometimes I use two brushes, sometimes four," explained the artist. "With this new technique, I create and yet I destroy. One of the brushes is creating, while the other three have nothing to do with me. I like such creation which happens by chance. Sometime I will loose control over the image, but after you loose control you look at what you have and you try to get it back again."

While his earlier work was influenced by German Expressionism, he said he has become more interested in Chinese cultural art since the late '90s, especially the paintings of the Song dynasty, which influence this latest work.

"Having moved away from the more rigid model of European Expressionism," Kwok said, "Zeng's recent works combine a calligraphic touch with a more romanticist view of man and his relationship with nature."

No comments: