Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Crocheting a Coral Reef



I love this project, Want to Save a Coral Reef? Bring Along Your Crochet Needles, described by PATRICIA COHEN for the New York Times (also posted at UNIVERSAL JELLYFISH). It's a great example of taking a traditionally women's creative activity and turning it on it's head for social activism and commentary.

One thing that is great about it is for it to make an effective statement - it takes many people to be involved.

I never learned how to crochet - but this project has me wanting to learn. (I do a very little knitting - enough to be able to make scarves and that's it).

Crochet seems to be the perfect thing for this - for creating the shapes of coral and sea urchins and such, and for getting people involved in an issue (the destruction on coral reefs through global warming, industrial fishing, carelessness, etc.) that may not have been aware.

(I also like how the photo goes with my color scheme :)

No comments: